Monday, September 19, 2022

CDR Listening List 2: CDR - EVANGELION WORKS 0.0000000

 

Artist: CDR
Genres: Lolicore, Breakcore
Label: RDC Records
CAT#: none
Year: 2014 (actually on my wife Azusa's birthday)

Years ago CDR randomly mailed me a random Neon Genesis Evangelion OST CD that reeked of cigarette smoke, and this album always makes me think of that. EVANGELION WORKS 0.0000000 is a phenomenal album that just never gets old, I remember I listened to it on repeat when it first released, and have listened to it every few months since then. This album is full of amen loop heavy lolicore full of BGM sampling, I absolutely love BGM samples in lolicore (and used to do it a ton back in the day), so this album really hits a sweet spot for me. What I find really interesting about this album too is how some of the tunes remind me of old Western lolicore artists, like the beginning of Why Are You Stupid ? reminding me of Lolishit's Asuka Langley Soryu with looped Asuka samples and amens (and even sampling the same line, but in different languages), and The Beast's clustered mixing reminded me of some old blasted out LOLI RIPE stuff.

Another stand out to me too is the breakbeat part in King Of Boys Love, the breaks over the Evangelion piano just goes so hard, and I've always loved how CDR will mix a lot of slower breaks into his tunes (which has influenced my own works). Nigechadameda Acid is a really nice change of pace too, an unexpected acid tune that somehow fits perfectly, like how Squarepusher sometimes tosses in tunes like this into albums, really feels traditional to classic electronica. I Feel Sick totally kicks ass too, with all the medical beeps and *the scene* mixed with old-school-style Asuka voice sampling and constant amen breaks. That part in the middle too is such a nice build too despite just being one sound looped, it transitions so well into the more chaotic second half of the song, which is one of my favorite parts of this entire album. Album clears out with Omedetou, which basically feels like a much welcomed reprise of King Of The Hill, I mean,
King Of Boys Love.

Overall, if you love CDR's amen heavy stuff, and the Evangelion OST, then this is a must listen. Also, I love the heavy Asuka sampling in this, I know CDR is a Rei guy, but I'm team Asuka all the way; its nice to be represented.

Listen here: https://cdr1234.bandcamp.com/album/evangelion-works-00000000

No comments:

Post a Comment